Friday, December 06, 2013

Joséphine's Birth Blurb

As most of you know, we welcomed Josie into the world October 17 at 4:23 am.  I thought I would share a bit of her birth story, very briefly, and then show a few pictures from the hospital.

Joséphine made us wait.  At 10 days past her estimated due date I was induced at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.  We were sent home for the afternoon but came back around 6 PM.  I was 5 cm dilated at this point and so was admitted.  I laboured for 6 1/2 hrs on my feet at the bedside without any medications (we were trying to do a 100% natural birth) with a lot of help from both Rémi (most amazing husband ever) and our doula, Amanda.  I would strongly recommend anyone giving birth think about hiring a doula - we couldn't have done it without her.  At this point, I was still not fully dilated and I accepted some pain relief to allow me to rest during contractions.  After about 2 hrs of this, I was still not fully dilated!  I accepted an epidural and we all slept for 2 more hours.  The doctor was hoping that taking away my urge to push would take the pressure off and allow my cervix to finish dilating.  Unfortunately, I was still at 9 1/2 cm after 2 hours and we decided as a team that it would be best if I had a C-section.  Joséphine was born less than 45 minute later!  Weighing in at 7 lbs, 7 ounces and measuring 50 cm, our little monkey was born!

Here are a few pictures from our hospital stay.


We look a bit goofy in this photo but it's literally an hour after Josie was born, so here we are sharing it with the world ;)
 We were all exhausted!
 New baby face!


 Papa!!

 She's so much bigger now. It's incredible!!
 Peak-a-boo!!
 We MADE her!!
 Snug as a bug :)
More to come!
S

No comments: