Monday, September 24, 2012

Gardening adventures 2012

I've chosen a green font, but my thumb is more of a blackish with green twinges...  We've been able to eat out of our garden this year, but the tomatoes are still green on the vines and despite the fact that everyone I know with a garden has zucchinis coming out the ying yang, ours (albeit planted very late) are just flowering now.  I doubt they'll ripen and may not even fruit before winter.

BUT!!  We've learned a lot.  Lesson #1 has been plant seeds in the ground and use cold frames.  I started a lot of seeds inside (ambitiously and foolishly in February/March) and planted out late.  I wouldn't do that again, especially for squash.  They seem to do much better if planted on hills (as recommended on the seed packet, I humbly add).  We also need to beef up our soil and so will be adding copious amounts of chicken poop compost come the end of the season.  We're trying to grow organically...

Anyhoo, a few photos:

Broccoli - if you're looking for something easy to start with, plant broccoli.  We bought plants, not seeds, and they did amazingly.  They're still producing lots of veg!
 
 Beans - these did very well too, I just didn't plant enough of them!  Again, planted right into the ground, the seeds did very well.  And they are sooooo yummy when eaten seconds after picking!
 
 This is winter squash.  Needs lots of space and good soil.  We have one fruit that is almost ready (see below) and the plant is still flowering.  Two more fruits have started.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed they ripen before the rains come.
 
 Tomatoes - a fan favourite.  Our plants are huge and there are lots of fruit on them, but as mentioned, still green.  I'm holding by breath that they will ripen before the season is over.  They like hot weather and the heat wave we had last week gave me some hope but it's cool and cloudy this week so we'll see.  Luckily we like green tomato salsa!
 
 Strawberries - delicious little yummies!  Easy to grow and perennial.  I plan to haul these plants out of this strawberry pot and plant them in my garden.  They spread out everywhere but who wouldn't want fresh strawberries in copious amounts??!!
 We also planted flowers in amongst our fruits and veggies to bring in insects and reduce soil erosion.  These are called nasturtiums.  You can eat them, but Remi and I weren't keen on the taste.  They also spread EVERYWHERE, so they need to be kept in check.  The nice thing is, they grow VERY well from seed and are therefore dirt (excuse the pun) cheap.
 Marigolds - because I like them.  I did learn that they grow better when planted in clumps.  The individual plants withered, but when I moved them together, they took off.
 
 Hot peppers and jalapenos - we bought plants of these and they're doing quite well!  Still producing.  I may did them up and bring them in for the winter.
 
 Basil - I kill basil kept in pots, but I planted this one in the ground and it seems to be doing very well!  I'll likely dig it up and bring it in for the winter (at which point, I'm sure it'll die in the pot).
 We also have rhubarb, parsley, thyme and oregano.

We're planning on expanding next year, digging another garden patch which gets more sun.  I'd love to try growing corn and we may yet plant some garlic this year.

Happy growing!
S

No comments: